Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Power control for QAM demodulate

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Power control for QAM demodulate
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:26:43 +0100

To ease answering, I'll add more of the conversation in this separate mail:

You wrote:

Thanks so much for your advice. I have read the PAPR OFDM document and set the higher RX and TX gain at both transmitter and receiver. But I still cannot demodulate the signal.
Yes, because it's intrinsically harder to demodulate 16QAM compared to QPSK, as I tried to explain.
So my question is do I need to change some parameters or adding some algorithms to control the USRP to intelligently receive different signal with different power.
These signals do *not* have a different power per se. SNR should be the same.
Has anyone achieved such function before?
yes.
Or we can not use the USRP to receive the QAM signal.
Of course you can! It's really just a question of choosing transmission parameters so that things work
I actually don't exactly know how USRP works to receive the signal and convert it to the complex number.
You pretty much said it: USRPs (in general) are direct mixing complex baseband receivers. There's a lot of literature on how these work!
I actually also tested the signal carrier system,  but 16QAM still not works.
I'm afraid you'll have to dig into what noise is, how it affects demodulation, and where symbol errors come from. This is theory that you'll need to know when modifying/implementing digital transceiver systems!

Best regards,

Marcus