Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Regarding GSoC'17

From: Kartik Patel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Regarding GSoC'17
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 04:51:20 +0000

Hi Marcus,

Did I used GNU Radio before? -> Yup. I have used GNU Radio for basic modulations schemes simulations. Also, I tried to do "live" audio processing (Take audio input from mic and process it and send it over the speakers). Mostly I worked on GUI of GNU Radio (GRC) but also worked on python part of GR.

What did I do in NS3? -> I designed and implemented Bluetooth Low Energy protocol in NS3. I started with the design of models/classes of the protocol on paper (like parameters at each layer, procedures of each layer and other helper classes like packet-header classes and network setup helpers).

What do I care about? -> I am programmer in night and communication engineering student (with smile) during day. Organisations like NS3 and GNU Radio are perfect blend for me! :P In general I like to learn communication and implement it to visualize (mostly on terminal) that learning.

I can get familiar with essential part of code base within 1-2 days. It took me 2 days to understand every essential things in NS3. Now, if u show me any issue on NS3, most of the time, I can easily move through whole code and point to the file and line where the issue may originate from. I want to achieve same proficiency on GNU Radio before I start working on the project proposals etc and GSoC project (if organization and Google permits.). But for that I need complete work on one or 2 small projects/issues.

Now back to my first mail: I want to work for GNU Radio under GSoC during summer 2017. But not sure where to start? Can u suggest me some minor issues or projects that I can work on during December to March? I'd prefer to work on some technical issues/projects that need understanding of communication and DSP.

Regards,
Kartik Patel