Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] out-of-tree module without root privileges

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] out-of-tree module without root privileges
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 07:27:04 +0100

Hi,

>> I am having a problem with out of tree modules in gnuradio. I have a pc
>> on which multiple users can log on to it. I have installed gnuradio on
>> the administration account and all users can use it. The users who are
>> using the machine can't install out of tree modules in gnuradio because
>> they don't have root privileges.
>
> Presuming it's a Linux system, yes, they can use
>
>   sudo make install

That's not so much a way to use OOT without root privileges but a way
to give someone root privileges.

Once you authorize someone to use sudo, he _is_root for all intents
and purposes, you realize that right ?

As for the original question, you can try to play with environment
variables. Won't always work though.

BASE=/home/whoever/gnuradio-prefix
export PATH=${PATH}:${BASE}/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${BASE}/lib64
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:${BASE}/lib64/pkgconfig
export PYTHONPATH=${PYTHONPATH}:${BASE}/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/
export GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=${GRC_BLOCKS_PATH}:${BASE}/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks

Cheers,

    Sylvain