Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Flow control with message ports

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Flow control with message ports
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:21:52 -0800

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Bastian Bloessl <address@hidden> wrote:

I don't know a good solution, but when I had a similar problem, I ended up with:

- the file parser creates an initial message
- the sync block sends a message back to the file parser when it converted the message into stream domain
- this message triggers sending the next (actual) message in the parser block

This is a pretty good strategy in and of itself.

I've used something like it to implement low-latency by having a downstream block advertise a processing window size to an upstream source, which it updates each call to work(). In the steady state this results in just enough buffer filling in the intermediate blocks to keep the downstream consumer busy.

Need to think about how to generalize this and what you are doing above into blocks inside GNU Radio.

-Johnathan