[Discuss-gnuradio] Delay locked loop for the two-clock problem (was: sim

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Delay locked loop for the two-clock problem (was: simple mod-demod combinations doesn't work)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:30:19 +0200

Hi Fons, Hi Kevin,

this sounds very nice!

I've only read your email+presentation and skimmed your paper, and I have the following rather technical question:

Your DLL depends on you having a delay estimator $\hat
        D(t)=W(t)-R(t)-c+e(t)$, in which $R$ are the read-from-buffer, $W$ the written-to-buffer samples, $c$ is the (ideally) constant delay and $e(t)$ is fluctuation and measurement error. So: In your paper, you rely on the timestamps jack give you to. Now, these microsecond timestamps will introduce a third clock into our problems. I can see how the control loop converges in case of that clock being both faster than your sampling clock and relatively well-behaved, but: is this an assumption we can generally make?

Let's first just focus on the Audio part (I personally think matching a 100MS/s $\pm$ 2ppm stream to a whatever 31.42MS/s $\pm$ 20ppb  stream with a clock that has microsecond resolution and more ppms is out of question):

You say:

> On the Jack side, part of the solution is already available in the server. The DLL (Delay Locked Loop) that has been part of Jack since many years computes in each cycle a prediction of the start time of the next cycle, while removing most of the jitter due to random wakeup latency. This provides a smooth and continuous mapping between time (as measured by Jack’s microsecond timer) and frame counts.

Hm, OK. So you get a $\hat t$ time estimate. Wow! Third loop of control! Do you have any ressources on that? How is that cycle start time prediction (which is a sampling rate estimator, inherently) realized? I think the "a practical approach to estimating sample rate based on two (or more) conflicting clocks on a general-purpose PC with a large-buffered processing architecture)" is probably a very interesting read, though, compared to Fons' [3]

So, here's my problem with the block that Kevin would like to see:

I think it'll be a little unlikely to implement this as a block that you drop in somewhere in your flow graph. If it works, it has to be done directly inside the audio sink. The reason simply is that unlike audio architectures, and especially the low-latency Jack arch, GNU Radio doesn't depend on fixed sample packet sizes, and as an effect of that, you're very likely to see very jumpy throughput scenarios. Ok, imagine a simple SDR Device --> math --> Null Sink flow graph. At every inter-block buffer, the average throughput will be constant (i.e. SDR sampling rate), which means the ratio of sample chunk size an delay will be constant, but the chunk sizes will either vary a lot, or converge against either the size of "largest granularity" block in the signal chain (e.g. a 1024 FFT), or simply "half a buffer", if there is a computational bottleneck, but if they do the latter, you'll likely see buffers overflow at some point.

With a wildly varying sample chunk size, the granularity and precision of $\hat t$ becomes very important – sure, if I can integrate over a large number of observed chunks of large size, I can easily find the mean rate, but if I have very short delays (where the timing error is relatively big compared to $\frac{n_{samples}}{f_{sample}}$), I'll need to either up the latency to be able to only observe large-scale events, or I'm going to introduce loads of jitter on the output.

The problem gets even worse if the output buffer of the rate-correction block isn't directly coupled to the consuming (audio) clock – if there's nondeterministic error introduced at the $\hat W$ estimation, the control loop Fons showed is likely to break down at some point.

So in this case, the throughput-optimizing architecture of GNU Radio is in conflict with the wish for good delay estimator :( Now, I know that for things like disciplining a 10MHz analog oscillator with a GPS-supplied timing, relatively complex control loops are used – I have no idea whatsoever whether they are suitable for controlling things in a general-purpose PC. I hope Fons can shine a bit of light on how Jack handles the timing estimation!

In practice, the "best" clock in most GNU Radio flow graphs attached to an SDR receiver is the clock of the SDR receiver (RTL dongles notwithstanding); if we had a way of measuring other clocks, especially CPU time and audio time, using the sample rate coming out of these devices, that'd be rather handy for all kinds of open-loop resampling (open-loop in the sense that we hope that based on our frequency offset estimate our resampling is correct enough, and don't actually use e.g. buffer fillage).

Best regards,

Marcus

[1] http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/papers/adapt-resamp-pres.pdf
[2] Adriaensen, Fons: "Controlling adaptive resampling", 2012, http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/papers/adapt-resamp.pdf