Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU flow graph containing a UHD block - unable to

From: John B. Wood
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU flow graph containing a UHD block - unable to detect USRP E310
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 06:42:54 -0400

On 09/28/2016 05:53 AM, John Smith wrote:
I have an E310 device connected over an Ethernet link to a laptop running GNU
Radio.
When I attempted to execute a GNU flow graph containing a UHD block, I got the
following error:

RuntimeError: LookupError: KeyError: No devicesfound for -----> Empty Device
Address

I have entered the device IP address in the UHD block.

I can ping the E310.

Any help much appreciated.
Hello, and I feel your pain.  To add what other posters may have indicated:

1. The E310 has to be placed into "network mode", which loads the E310 FPGA with appropriate code. This mode is not implemented by default when the E310 is booted up.

2. The UHD driver version in both the E310 and the networked platform with GRC must be the same version.

3. Ettus encourages the running of GRC on the E310 rather than an external computer. That is understandable from a network load perspective. OTOH, if you have a dedicated test LAN, which may consist of just the E310 and the GRC computer, this shouldn't be an issue. For programming test and debugging, I prefer having the network mode on my E310 since running an SDR application that outputs sound is easier to do on an external computer using its sound card and speakers. Also the GUI of GRC seems to be more readable when GRC is running on the external computer as opposed to running an SSH -X session to the E310. I also find that if an SDR application defined by the GRC flow graph/Python code is designed to output real time graphical info it seems to be less clunky when GRC is run external to the E310. My .02 worth. Sincerely,