Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Run two tunnel.py scripts on one single PC

From: Jawad Seddar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Run two tunnel.py scripts on one single PC
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:38:54 +0200

Hi,

From what I remember the tunnel.py scripts connect to 1 USRP.
If you run the script twice it is going to try and open a second usrp_source and usrp_sink but you only have 1 USRP hooked up to your computer.

If what you want to do is send packets on an interface then have those packets go through the tunnel.py script, go through the air via the USRP then get received at another USRP and go up the chain again then you either need 2 USRPs OR you need to modify your scripts so that you have one script that only sends packets (and therefore only has a usrp_sink) and one script that only receives packets (and therefore only has a usrp_source).

Also, beware of having 2 virtual interfaces on the same machine.
If you try sending your packets from one to the other they'll most likely go directly from one to the other through the linux stack and bypass your tunnel scripts entirely.

I hope this is somewhat helpful,
Jawad

Dear all,

I'm trying to build two tunnel virtual Ethernet interfaces on a single PC using tunnel.py from "gnuradio/gr-digital/examples/ofdm". The PC has only one Ethernet interface card and is connecting to one USRP. What I did is opening two terminals and running tunnel.py on each of them. After I type the command "sudo ifconfig gr0 192.168.200.1" in a separate terminal, the first terminal running the 1st tunnel.py works well (i.e. the packets forwarded to gr0 got modulated and transmitted via USRP). However, after I type the command "sudo ifconfig gr1 192.168.100.1" in another separate terminal, the first terminal running the 1st tunnel.py stop working and only the most recent created virtual interface (here is gr1) works well. Based on this observation, I guess the tunnel.py running in the 2nd terminal occupies some important resources that the tunnel.py running in the 1st terminal was utilizing. But I have no idea what exactly cause the tunnel.py running in the 1st terminal stop working.

Please let me know your comments if you have been working on the similar problem.

Best,

Sihua Shao
Ph.D Student
New Jersey Institute of Technology