Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK31 (from audio to radio)

From: Tim K
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK31 (from audio to radio)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 22:33:41 -0400

Hey hey!

Glad to see someone using this. (And that it's apparently still working! Goodness... I need to clean this up...)

I'm giving advice freehand right now, as I don't have my radios with me to test this. There are definitely more elegant ways for this solution, this is just the quickest I could think of without reverse engineering what I wrote forever ago.

Since this is AM, I think you'll only need the Real port on your "Float to Complex" block. You can attach the "Null Source" to the Imaginary port. Do a quick check to make sure the real signal's not exceeding +/- 1... you might want to attenuate it to +/- 0.7 for now, someone else should comment.

As far as the transmit side goes, I'd leave everything up to the "Multiply" block untouched. Consider that your "audio input" to the radio. After that...
 - Multiply Const (set to 0.7 for safety)
 - Polyphase Resampler (float/float) set to (1e6 / 48e3) - This gets your sample rate up to radio speeds
 - Float to Complex (in the Real port, Null Source to the Imag port) - This makes your signal "complex AM"
 - Send the Complex stream into your Osmocom Sink (set to 1e6 sps) - And transmit!

If I remember correctly, some radios don't like working at non-integer sample rates. (The hackRF may be ok though...)

Play gently with your TX gain until you can see it on another radio. (IIRC the HackRF is simplex... perhaps an RTL?) Use AM to demodulate.

I've been meaning to do a write up on this for a while. If I ever get around to it, I'll make sure to CC you.

- Tim