Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Calculating additive noise power for known signal

From: Paul Creaser
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Calculating additive noise power for known signal
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:42:33 -0700 (MST)

In a real system the signal would be a preamble, which would normally be used
for synchronization purposes at the receiver end (For example PLC system).

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cyclic noise", but the example you
give is 50 Hz (or 60 Hz) hum, so a narrowband interference."

Cyclic noise, perhaps my understanding is incorrect. In a PLC system, the
noise rejection system uses a Zero Cross detection to detect the beginning
of a power cycle (50Hz/60Hz). During the cycle at the same phase point,
noise repeatedly occurs. So on a scope you would see a nice sine wave for
the power and noise which repeats at the same phase point in the power
cycle.

This is different from the 50 Hz noise I suggested previously. However the
idea/hope is that this noise is narrow band noise and because of its
repetitive behaviour, .i.e. occurring in the same point in the cycle, and
relatively stable amplitude, it should be possible to remove it from a known
signal.

I will take on board all the useful advice and continue my studies.