[Discuss-gnuradio] DARPA SC2 Information Days

From: Ben Hilburn
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] DARPA SC2 Information Days
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 12:50:41 -0400

Hi all -

For anyone interested in learning more about the DARPA Spectrum Collaboration Challenge (also known as the Spectrum Grand Challenge), there are a couple of information events this week. Today is the last day to register for the in-person event, and tomorrow is the registration deadline for the webinars.

I'm really excited about the SC2, and I think it is a fantastic opportunity for the GNU Radio community. I hope to see lots of the participating teams using GNU Radio, and DARPA PM Paul Tilghman will be speaking at GRCon16 about the competition.

Here is an announcement shared by the DARPA SC2 coordinators regarding the information events and registration:

---
Dear GNU Radio Enthusiasts,

We're excited to announce that DARPA has released the details of the Spectrum Collaboration Challenge (SC2): "The world's first collaborative machine-intelligence competition to overcome spectrum scarcity."  This new DARPA Grand challenge, which champions a spectrum-sharing model for RF communications, comes at a time of fast-growing demand, which could soon overwhelm the current, nearly century-old practice of assigning users exclusive use of specific frequencies. Military operations increasingly rely on access to the wireless spectrum to assess the tactical environment and coordinate critical missions. And as society enters an era in which ever more products-from refrigerators to automobiles to unmanned aerial vehicles-need access to the spectrum, it will take far more efficient and nimble use of finite spectrum resources to meet the demand.

The competition will unfold in three year-long phases beginning in 2017 and finishing, for those teams that survive the two Preliminary Events, in a high-profile Championship Event in late 2019. The team whose advanced, software-defined radios (an RF technology that provides the necessary agility in changing waveforms) collaborate most effectively with a diversity of simultaneously operating radios in a manner that optimizes spectrum usage for the entire communicating ensemble will walk away with a grand prize of $2 million. The teams that rank as the second and third best collaborators will take home $1 million and $750,000, respectively.

All the details can be found on our website: SpectrumCollaborationChallenge.com

DARPA will be hosting a Competitor Information Day on August 10th and an Architecture Proposers Day on August 11th.  Registration for in-person attendance at DARPA will close on Monday August 8th. Registration for the webinar attendance will close at noon on Tuesday August 9th. To ensure a smooth IT experience, the SC2 team will be conducting a dry run of the webinar on August 9th prior to the live sessions on August 10th and 11th

Register via our website: spectrumcollaborationchallenge.com/register-for-information-days

Thank you for your interest, and we hope to see you in the challenge!

- The DARPA SC2 Team