Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IMSI Catcher Catcher?

From: Laur Joost
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IMSI Catcher Catcher?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:39:16 +0300

If an operator is using some insecure encryption standards included in GSM, then it's just a matter of listening in and decoding (taking into account that you have more interference from other handsets, unless you're located by the tower (the time slot synchronization is only correct near the base station). The IMSI Catchers are only necessary to force cell phones to those encryption modes, when the network is actually using better encryption.

Laur

Personally, I think a passive GSM attack would be more useful. Has that been accomplished yet? I saw a scholarly article on it but I haven't seen any articles/tutorials on cell hacks except the GSM attacks that require you to transmit.