Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio

From: grarpamp
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio - Doc Req
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 23:24:07 -0400

On 5/29/16, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you spread it extremely wide and basically put the power level

Probably more like this than in your first larger paragraph.

Perhaps crafting arbitrarily fine random vertical divisions of a
spectrum into a very wide line of numerous bit positions, such lines
being known only to peers. To which they may apply essentially gain
hits ("power"), perhaps in parallel, to carry data. Looks like
random background noise to outside observers.

DRBG... I don't remember where this part came from, but the RF
spectra utilized, or [subset] within which data is hidden... may
itself be selected / generated / driven by a DRBG, for which shared
seeds and timing are needed to do at least the initial training
(subsequent rekeying of the RF noise could be done pursuant to
instructions, human or automatic, within the datastream).

Peers need not have elite hardware, lower cost yields lower achievable
datarate due to broader timing, less sensitivity, etc.

> what's up with the funny subject line? What's
> Cypherpunk Guerilla about any of this?

The paper I recall reading had a somewhat pirate / cypherpunk /
guerrilla / resistance / activist / journalist / military / "illegal"
communications tone / community / proposition to it... or at least
listed those as among the most likely uses.

More narrowly, upon hearing that both the RF, and data inside, are
encrypted, and that these novel noise systems are hard to find,
hard to shutdown, etc... various types of users in the US and
elsewhere, typically hams, concern themselves with legalities.
Though that side discussion is relavant, the users of these systems
are generally already aware of and obviously not concerned with
such things.

The paper may have even been posted here, but without an unaltered
raw copy of the list archives in mbox format available for download
for people to then load into local MUA's, it's really hard to search
for such text, links, and attachments. Such an archive would be
highly appreciated and useful :)