Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] accumulate spectrum

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] accumulate spectrum
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 09:38:13 +0200

This cannot be stressed enough. What GNU Radio processes is nothing but series of numbers. Just like these numbers don't have a physical unit (lest you interpret them as physically significant), the don't have a rate.
Furthermore, and this also is something very often misunderstood, throttle doesn't do anything with the samples. Really! It only copies them from in- to output. Nothing changes. And just as you can't tell the difference between a file that was downloaded with a fast internet connection and the same file downloaded through the slowest connection on earth, the sample file doesn't contain any difference whether you've used throttle or not. GNU Radio works by trying to be the fastest signal processing "pipe" possible. Throttle is really just as if someone deliberately stepped on and of a hose just to regulate the average amount of stuff going through.

This principle, GNU Radio not caring/knowing about sampling rates or any other aspect that doesn't concern the mathematical nature of these samples, is really inherent to the way GNU Radio does DSP.

For example, take the Signal Source. You'd say "that block has a sample rate parameter, so it does something different depending in the rate!", but that would actually misunderstand the fact that the sample rate parameter is, together with the frequency parameter, only used to calculate how much of a full oscillation to advance /per sample/. For example, a Signal Source with
Sample rate=100e3
Signal frequency=25
Will produce an oscillation with a period of 400 samples. That's *identical* in every aspect to what the same source does with
Sample rate=40
Signal frequency=0.01

I hope that cleared things up a bit
Best regards