Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Feedback with Transmitters and Receiver

From: Pavan Yedavalli
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Feedback with Transmitters and Receiver
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:18:27 -0700

Hi Derek,

I am trying to do (3), as you noted above, and my test to see whether the Tx USRPs are transmitting at the same time is to directly connect them to the Rx USRP and plot the real components of each one and see whether they are in phase (or at least with some constant random offset). In theory, I believe this is a good test to see that the Octoclock-G is working its magic.

The setup:

Octoclock: Two of the three boards (Master Tx USRP and 1 Rx USRP) are connected to the Octoclock-G (one cable each from PPS out to PPS in, and one cable each from 10 MHz out to Ref in, so 4 total cables). The primary ref knob is set to Internal, and the PPS blinks green, while Internal, Status, and Power are all steady greens. I do not have the ethernet of the Octoclock connected, however. When I connected it to my Gb Ethernet switch, the indicator was orange, while all the other working ones are green, so I decided not to connect it for now. Does this matter?

Tx side: I have both Tx USRPs connected to each other via the MIMO cable, and one of them is connected to the Octoclock, as mentioned above. In tx_mimo_setup_octoclock.png, we can see that I have two USRP sinks connected via MIMO cable, and one of them has time and clock set to External, and the other has time and clock set to MIMO cable. Both have sync set to Unknown PPS.

Between Tx and Rx: I have an SMA cable from one Tx USRP connected to a 20 dB attenuator, and then connected to the Tx/Rx port of the Rx USRP. I have another SMA cable from the other Tx USRP connected to a 20 dB attenuator, and then connected to the Rx2 port of the Rx USRP. No antennas are connected.

Rx side: In receiver_recvng_on_both_ports.png, we can see that I have a USRP source with two channels. The time and clock are set to External, and the sync is set to Unknown PPS. I run this, but I get the following error:

RuntimeError: LookupError: IndexError: multi_usrp: RX channel 1 out of range for configured RX frontends

I tried looking up what this error is, and apparently there was a fix in a branch years ago, but I'm assuming I have that fix already? I have a feeling something is wrong with the Octoclock setup that is causing this, but I'm not sure. I believe the setup I mentioned above makes sense, right?

Obviously, I will look into timed commands in UHD and tags in GNU Radio after I get all of this set up and working. Thank you so much again for the help.