Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 'Can't Avoid' fixes in current GNUradio 3.7.9.2

From: West, Nathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 'Can't Avoid' fixes in current GNUradio 3.7.9.2
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:42:59 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Lamar Owen <address@hidden> wrote:
The EPEL repository for RHEL and its rebuilds currently has a slightly older version of GNUradio in the repo, a 3.7.5.

I filed a bug in the EPEL bugzilla as an RFE to update to 3.7.9, but I got an answer back that it is EPEL policy (much like RHEL) to not update to latest version unless it 'can't be avoided.'  The link to the policy document:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#Policy

Does anyone know of any fixes since 3.7.5 that might be considered 'can't avoid?'

Personal opinion incoming:
Normally I strongly advocate for working off of the latest release possible, but this is my exception. Two thoughts:
1) If you don't know of a good reason to move from 3.7.5, why are you pressuring an entire distribution to go against their policy?
2) A major selling point (I think) of RHEL and by extension Fedora is the loooong stable cycle. If they upgrade to latest versions just because they are shinier then that goes against the distro philosophy. I think it makes more sense to either upgrade to the latest release of the distribution or build from source