[Discuss-gnuradio] time tags for transition time using USRPs

From: Henning Bredenberg
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] time tags for transition time using USRPs
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:29:01 +0200

Hi all,

In the attached picture a flow graph is shown where i use the "random" pdu generator for a fixed sized pdu (1200 bytes here). The pdu_to_tagged_stream block makes it accessible for a simple BPSK modulation to send it over a coax cable to another USRP B200. A time sink shows what the transmitter transmits and what the receiver should receive ideally. By inserting some different delays, e.g. a uniformly distributed (0 to 80 ms in the disabled block here), i want to emulate a communication system. My questions are:

1. How can a realize a burst transition that transmit the fixed sized burst, i.d. the pdu, in a 20 ms slot whereas the last 60ms no transition occurs before a new pdu is generated by the message_strobe block? By now it is a continuous transition no matter what i change.

2. I want to store the time from generating the pdu till my second USRP receives it. Tagging the time should be an option to realize that. Since a have no clue: How can i realize that using time tags? The simplest case is - without any delays - that the pdu is generated and transmitted in a 20ms slot plus the processing time which should be small compared to the 20 ms.

I am thankful for any kind of help. Thanks and have a nice weekend,
Henning