Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 09:55:24 -0400

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/13/2016 11:05 PM, Jean Luc wrote:
I've been trying as well to use GR on RPi (model 3), the ultimate purpose would be radio astronomy. A smaller form factor such as RPI's makes a remote installation more palatable than a full PC.

I wasn't able to compile it on RPi but compromised on using a more recent version (3.7.9-3~bpo8+1) taken from jessie-backports. The steps are below.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8B48AD6246925553 7638D0442B90D010

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list and  add the following line:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install gnuradio

On the positive side, GR works on RPi3. However, it does keep one core to 100% in many cases. This was with input from an SDR with the 2Msps rate, though. Actually, one more problem: audio output. That part didn't work ("check topology failed on audio_alsa_sink"); I posted a message on the list the other day. I cannot say it's a GR problem, could be mine; I have yet to understand what the problem is.

JL.
I'll point out that ARCH generally has up-to-date packages for this stuff, including for most of the ARM-based SBCs.

I run ARCH on various Odroid platforms, running radio-astronomy GR flow-graphs, with good success.  I run these "headless", without any
  graphical display from the Odroid--it's just the digital radio + processing platform.

We also keep information about our support and capabilities on embedded systems here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Embedded

Also for Android if you're running that on your embedded machine:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Android

We don't have much posted on using RPis because, until recently, they were not an exciting platform for us. The initial RPi was so woefully underpowered as a processor that most of us trying to do actual math went with other solutions, like the Odroid that Marcus mentioned. With the RPi2 and RPi3, they now have interesting processors where GNU Radio makes a lot more sense.

Tom