Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:01:40 +0200

Hi Rob,

so, first of all: I recommend doing the compilation on a PC (cross-compiling). In all experiences I've known of, compiling on something as weak and RAM-sparse as the Pi takes nights, and needs a lot of swap memory, making it impractical. Also note that setting up the cross-compilation environment shouldn't take longer than compiling on the Pi iself.

So, first of all, what kind of OS are you using on the Pi? Is it something like debian (in which I'd plainly recommend installing GR from debian packages, those being relatively up to date, or using debian's build systems with updated/modified sources), or is it more something like a classical embeddded OS like an image generated by OpenEmbedded?

Then: GNU Radio comes with an ARMv7/cortex-a8 compatible toolchain file, which you can use for cross-compilation to such a target; not being an expert in RPis, I think only the Pi B+ is an ARMv7. Which one are you using?

Then, and that's mostly out of curiosity: Maybe it's easier to help you find a good way if you tell us what you're planning to do with the Raspberry Pi and GNU Radio – usually, the Pi is not really the go-to choice for digital signal processing, so the complexity of SDR you can do with it is limited, but it might well suit you!

Best regards,
Marcus