Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spectrum management in cognitive radio

From: G. Watts
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spectrum management in cognitive radio
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 14:38:53 -0400

When I see discussions on cognitive radio I always ask: What are your plans for preventing interference to passive users of the radio spectrum that you won't know about if your only method of determining spectrum use is detecting transmissions?

Passive users of spectrum, like radio astronomy, meteorological radiometry, etc. do not transmit and study signals enough that a cognitive radio use detection system won't identify them as 'use' of the spectrum. Transmitting on frequencies being used by passive users will constitute interference of their use and likely render those frequencies unusable for their purposes.

I'm not attacking but hoping to raise awareness.

- Galen, W8LNA