Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT graphical sink: how set dimension?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT graphical sink: how set dimension?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:40:10 +0200

Hi Victor,

what specifically are you referring to when you say "dimension" of your
graphical sinks; do you mean the "logical" size (in points of the FFT)
or the "graphical" size (in pixels of the widget, or the window)?

You can specify the heights of the widgets manually, but that would
require you to interfere with Qt taking care of window layout (and is
not a good idea most of the time); if possible, prefer to use a relative
grid layout as explained below.

The equivalent to WX' Notebook, there's the QT "GUI Hint" property. It's
pretty awesome, if you want to have a grid kind of layout; its format is

row,column, row_span, column_span

So, if you want something like

+-------+-------+
| Time  | Freq  |
| Plot  | Plot  |
+-------+-------+
|    Slider     |
+---------------+

The GUI hints would be

time plot: 0,0, 1,1  (first (=0.) row, first column, one row high x one
column wide)
freq plot: 0,1, 1,1 (first row, second column, 1x1 )
slider: 1,0,1,2 (second row, first column, 1 high x 2 wide)

Generally, it's possible (though not directly from GRC without writing
your own Python) to embed your Visualization into your own Qt
Application; there's a few projects out there that do that, but I don't
think we really have a best practice guide for that just yet :)

Cheers,
Marcus