Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio

From: Andrej Rode
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:27:07 +0100

Hi Desmond and everyone else,

> With my knowledge the mechanics of
> writing an OOT module and getting it to show up in GRC is fairly simple.
> It's the knowledge of radio signals and digital signal processing where I
> have the most difficulty.

as a EE student I can recommend getting familiar with the concepts taught in
the lectures 'Signals & Systems', 'Digital Communications I+II' and maybe
'Digital Signal Processing'. Material as well as recordings can be found at
[0]. Before looking through the lectures you should now there are some
requirements in mathematics you should know. For someone with a (university)
background in CS I think there should be a way to get in touch with integral
transforms/discrete integral transforms and the concept behind
digital/discrete thinking.

Concering literature I would recommend to look for a book with a title
'Signals and Systems', unfortunatly I can only name a german book for
recommendation for this one.  If you are familiar with the basic concept of
signal processing you could try to get your hands on 'Digital Communications'
by John G. Proakis. It is written in a very mathematical way but you should be
able to understand the concepts behind it and then verify them by looking
through GNU Radio blocks or writing some blocks yourself.

That is what I can recommend you from an EE students' point of view. I started
dealing with signal processing about two years ago. And I think with a
background in some kind of university mathematics you should be able to grasp
the basic concepts of digital signal processing in about a half year or less.
Most of the thinks in DSP are based on math and so are the blocks/Code in GNU
Radio.

If there is something missing or I am wrong, correct me :)

Best Regards,
Andrej

[0] http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/