[Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware "jitter", particularly USB

From: Gregory W. Ratcliff
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware "jitter", particularly USB
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:14:25 +0000 (UTC)

GnuRadio community,

I have been using various hardware interfaces to gnuradio lately.
In the simplest example, I noticed an issue with Funcube Pro Plus with broadcast wideband FM (about 4 GRC blocks) whereby it would consistently underflow, even though every rate appeared to be perfect.  A crude but effective fix has been to interpolate by 500, decimate by 499.

I occasionally notice a similar problem with DVB modules, never with Hermes.

This has caused me to wonder if some subtle error has crept into OSMOCOM or the Funcube module has a timing error (that had been masked previously by OSMOCOM).

Am I alone in this (in which case I will look closely at usb/audio/pc hardware)?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
NZ8R

Gregory W. Ratcliff