Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Discuss- gnuradio] Nanoseconds Signal Time of Ar

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Discuss- gnuradio] Nanoseconds Signal Time of Arrival on GRC
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 16:58:03 +0100

Hi Ernest,

Can GRC go Nanoseconds?
GRC is just a frontend to baseband sample processing blocks. So there's not really an answer to this. If you had a device that would be giving you 2GS/s, yes, and if you can build an application that estimates the phase of an incoming signal, then also, maybe:

well, first of all, you will need to bring your receiver to an exact time, within whatever "exact" means to you. For USRPs, you might use the GPSDOs, and further timing refinement tricks (see Johannes Schmitz' talk at FOSDEM this year).
Then, you'll need to determine a reference phase for your downconverted signal. Then, basically with the methods of interferometry, you can determine a sub-sample accurate estimate of the receive signal timing.

There's not a "ready to use" for your problem, because it depends on such an enormous number of specifics of your problem (chief amongst these hardware, accuracy demands, observation time, SNR, modulation of the CW). If your signal is really just a continuous wave, you'll always be signal-period ambiguous, unless you have another source of timing information.

It might be really worthwhile pointing you to the GNU Radio Guided Tutorials; you seem to have quite a good idea of what you want to implement, but your understanding of what GNU Radio does, and doesn't do, where the boundaries between GRC, GR, a flow graph and the whole SDR system lie might be lacking a bit behind that:
https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials

Best regards,
Marcus