Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tutorial on BPSK bursts

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tutorial on BPSK bursts
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 16:49:19 -0500

On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 21:04 +0000, Jesse Reich wrote:
> Thank you much Andy. I'll take a look and give it a try tonight when I
> get home.
>

> Is the BPSK that is used unusual because of the 1.1 rad phase shifts

Yes.  One would expect BPSK constellation points to be pi radians apart
(aka half way around the unit circle), like at +pi/2 and -pi/2 or at 0
and pi.  Being at +0.35pi and -0.35pi is just weird, but probably done
for robustness of reception (safety of life at sea; someone needs to
hear it!).

>  and is the related to what I've heard that the signal still has power
> in the pure carrier throughout the message?

The FFT of the tx burst shows that.

When phase locked to the carrier, the In-Phase component never vanishes;
it remains at cos(1.1 rad) while the Quadrature part moves between +/-
sin(1.1 rad).  When phase locked to the carrier during the 160 ms of
unmodulated carrier, the In-Phase component is at 1.0.

> Also, do you know if the T.001 beacons use differential BPSK or not?

This document doesn't make any mention of differential encoding:
http://www.cospas-sarsat.int/images/stories/SystemDocs/Current/cs_t.001_oct_2013.pdf

> I was able to capture a file sink of a PLB transmission last night so
> I'll have to give it a try.  But the frequency I saw seemed unusual;
> around 406.008 MHz. I believe it should be at 406.037 based on the
> beacon I was using.

Well, if your SDR receiver is not locked to a 10 MHz reference or a 10
MHz reference from a GPSDO, then you could be off freq.

Beacon Test mode is also supposed to use a special freq.

FWIW, the freq plan is here:

http://www.cospas-sarsat.int/images/stories/SystemDocs/Current/cs_t012_oct_2013.pdf

I honestly find these C/S specification to be written in a very
confusing manner.  Just figuring out the allowed bandwidth of a
transmitter was confusing.

Have Fun.

-Andy