[Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding digital data with imperfect timing - what am

From: Stanisław Pitucha
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding digital data with imperfect timing - what am I missing?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 17:56:24 +1100

Hi all,
I'm receiving an FSK-modulated signal with symbols 1.95-2.0 ms long. The signal starts with a long preamble of 1/0 alternating. This gives me ~97 samples per symbol, which I guess is more than enough for that small variation in length.

But whatever I tried so far (own clock_recovery_mm, gfsk_demod with freq_error, other experiments), I end up with either duplicated or lost bits in the preamble. If I switch the approach from official gnuradio blocks to a custom block which basically does run length encoding on 1/0 samples and outputs the bit if (run length / symbol_length) is close enough to integer, I get the data I expect.

So should this just work with some synchronizer blocks? Am I missing something simple?

--
KTHXBYE,

Stanisław Pitucha