Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Time

From: Jawad Seddar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Time
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 19:40:00 +0100

Hello Derek,

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, this is the method I was referring to when I was talking about setting the time manually in a python interpreter (the only difference is that I was using the functions from gr-uhd that translate to the method you mentioned).

Is there a way of doing this directly from GRC?
It used to work out of the box when using a usrp_source or usrp_sink block from gr-uhd.

Regards,
Jawad

Hello Jawad,

The UHD 3.9 release changed the default GPSDO behavior. UHD does not automatically synchronize device time to GPS time on initialization because it's not reliable during device start-up. I'm not 100% sure about GNU Radio's handling of these changes so will have to check before commenting on the behavior there.

Here is a method of reliably setting the time in your own code:
1)  Poll on usrp->get_mboard_sensor("gps_locked") until it returns true
2)  Poll on usrp->get_time_last_pps() until a change is seen.
3)  Sleep 200ms (allow NMEA string to propagate)
4)  Use "usrp->set_time_next_pps(uhd::time_spec_t(usrp->get_mboard_sensor("gps_time").to_int()+1));" to set the time
5)  Poll on usrp->get_time_last_pps() until a change is seen.
6)  Sleep 200ms (allow NMEA string to propagate)
7)  Verify that usrp->get_time_last_pps() and usrp->get_mboard_sensor("gps_time") return the same time.

Regards,
Derek