Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Renaming PyBOMBS

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Renaming PyBOMBS
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 18:45:51 -0800

There's nothing 'wrong', but PyBOMBS does something else.

- The standard packagers can only install what someone has packaged
(usually quite outdated), and most of them only install to the system
- Installing out-of-tree modules doesn't work except for some, on some
packagers
- You often want to curate multiple install of GNU Radio + some modules
in your home dir
- Easy cross compiling
- Configurable recipe lists
- It actually uses the Linux package managers under the hood
- ....

Between portage, pip etc. all of these features surely exist in diverse
packagers. But we want to provide our community with a one-stop, easy
way to explore the out-of-tree modules, ease development, etc.

Martin