Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Limits of freq_hopping.py

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Limits of freq_hopping.py
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:18:48 -0800

Richard,

please note that the script is an easy example on how to control things
through tags, and not optimized for performance (but rather, for
readability).

You should be able to go way below the re-tune time of your analog part
with timed commands, but to get maximum performance out of this you
might have to go a different route than using tags. The reason being,
with tags, you're still left to the whims of scheduling randomness, but
you want something with very tight control.

The way I'd go ahead here is pre-load the (timed) tune commands into the
command FIFO by using set_command_time() before every tune command, and
then start streaming (also with a timestamp) to line up data and
commands. Here's the catch: The command FIFO is not super-deep, and
tunes translate into multiple commands, so I'm not sure how many you can
actually queue. However, sending commands will block if the queue is
full, so you can have a thread updating the command queue with new tunes
continuously -- unless I've forgotten something here.

I admit the tags are a lot easier! But tight control over latencies etc.
is something where GNU Radio traditionally comes up short, and usually
requires some custom logic.

Cheers,
Martin