Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can i determine my current phone's frequency?

From: Francisco Albani
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can i determine my current phone's frequency?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 19:26:04 -0300

This reminds me of http://bash.org/?5273

Just to make this answer not completely pointless:

* Did you search google for narrowing your search to the UMTS uplink channels? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
* Did you try raising the RX Gain? Try something like 50 dB. 76 is the maximum value (check uhd_usrp_probe, just in case I'm wrong)
* Try with the fosphor visualization tool for a nicer and more responsive plot.

I remember being able to see the activity of my phone in the GSM uplink channels quite easily.

Thanks for your reply,
I forgot to mention-
is there a way to do so without touching the phone at all?
the phone is hidden for all i know, my goal is to find it.

Thanks again,
Meny

Probably the best way to do this is to get your phone to either tell you the ARFCN it's on (and not many do), or the cell ID. If you get a cell ID, you'd need to scan the downlink frequencies for that particular cell ID. Once you find the downlink frequency, the uplink should be a constant offset away.