Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] Test-case behaviour

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] Test-case behaviour
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:48:36 -0800

On 11.11.2015 19:29, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> Ah, interesting. This is something we should take up in the VOLK working
> group. We don't claim or not claim that you can use the same memory for
> the input and output buffers. Some kernels are known to work with these
> inplace operations. Looks like this one doesn't. Perhaps just testing
> and knowing which kernels do and do not support this and protect those
> that do not as const (which can be easily gotten around) and saying as
> much in the kernel's documentation.

This came up at one of the recent dev calls, and we agreed that it
*should* work, and that we'll put it into the docs. If we can
document/const this on a per-kernel basis, that's even better. However,
we need to make sure that adding new kernels won't change this
behaviour; i.e. say we have a function that we believe is safe for
in-place ops, and then we add a NEON kernel, and it stops working, that
would be confusing.

Cheers,
Martin