Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus E310 FM Radio

From: John B. Wood
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus E310 FM Radio
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:28:34 -0500

On 11/09/2015 12:46 PM, John B. Wood wrote:
On 11/09/2015 11:15 AM, Philip Balister wrote:
I wonder if the gain setting needs adjusting for the E310?

Philip
Increasing the RF gain slider doesn't appreciably improve S/N. Make that ditto for the audio gain. The source of the noise is unknown at this time. Sincerely,
OK, I just made a discovery. I think the noise is probably due to insufficient S/N at the antenna port (I just have a short length of wire connected to the E310 antenna Rx port and I'm inside a building). I ran the frequency slider over the 88-108 MHz range and found some stations that had virtually no background noise. It doesn't sound like I'm receiving stereo audio, though, on a station that's known to be broadcasting in stereo.

            John B. Wood
            U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
            Code 5520