Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] RuntimeError: Could not create nirio

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] RuntimeError: Could not create nirio_zero_copy transport on X310
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:00:42 +0100

Hi Marius,

I'm taking the GNU Radio discussion list into CC: here, as we're also kind of talking more about general GNU Radio usage; feel free to follow up on either list (you'll need to sign up for discuss-gnuradio, though, if you want to directly post there, see [1]).
So, stream tags, PDUs and bursty transmission are three different things:
* Think of stream tags really as annotations tagged to your sample stream.
* Think of PDUs just as buffer full of data/samples with a simple "that's how many samples there are" header. They usually are transported as messages, not as streams.
* Think of tagged streams as the combination of specially formed stream tags with the ability of blocks to understand that what it sees are packets of items, marked by a "begin/length" tag. That constructs a "packetized" or "burst" transmission mechanism atop of the "normal" stream processing.

So, the UHD USRP sink are able to consume a stream of samples, usually. That's the "normal" modus of operation. If you tell the sink to look for a specific length tag, it will switch to a mode where it will expect the stream to contain that tag, and send out the the bursts defined by those tags, either at the point of reaching the USRP sink, or at the point in time contained in another tag, the "tx_time" tag.

So two ressources to point you at
  1. The official Guided Tutorials of the GNU Radio community. These are sequential, so I strongly recommend starting at part 1 and finishing with part 6 or 7, if you haven't already. [2]
  2. The GNU Radio doxygen, which contains a description of the USRP sink and what tags it takes [3] [4].

Best regards,
Marcus

[2] https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials
[3] http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_uhd.html