Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Rational resampler misunderstanding

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Rational resampler misunderstanding
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:14:27 +0100

Hi Jason,

so talking about the GNU Radio rational resampler:
> Under the hood, is GNURadio basically creating a FIR
> decimator?
Yeah! Multirate processing!
So what happens in the block that's called "rational resampler" in GRC
is that if you leave "taps" empty, the Python block [1] designs a FIR
that suppresses images (on interpolation) or aliases (on decimation),
whatever is harder (ie. anti-image filter if interp>decim, anti-alias
otherwise). Basically, a "little less than Nyquist max" low pass is built.
These taps are then used in the C++ rational_resampler_base_XXX, which
does a bit of polyphase magic. Which, when interp=1, leaves you with a
f_nyquist*0.8/decim LPF with decim decimation.

Cheers,
Marcus

[1] gr-filter/python/filter/rational_resampler.py