Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to minimize Spillage of energy in neighboring

From: abhinav narain
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to minimize Spillage of energy in neighboring frequencies while transmission
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:42:07 -0700

Hi Sylvain,

> You can see the spectrogram at the receiver. I want to do narrowband(1 kHz)
> transmission hence I am keeping the sampling freq at transmitter at 1k.

That sentence is just wrong. It's actually quite the opposite.

By keeping the sample rate at the transmitter at 1k, you're basically
leaving all the alias filtering to the hardware and it's just not that
good.

What is alias filtering ? I have hear about anti-alias filters. Apologies as I am a CS student
but interested in radios and hence working on the project. I might be missing something
obvious.

You would be much better off oversampling the TX by like 10 and then
do digital filtering to make sure you filter out anything in the
higher freq.

You mean at 400k center freq, I have a sample_rate of 400k X 10 = 4M ?
Isn't this going to increase my transmisson BW ?

Sure, I can do that with low pass filter at the receiver, but I don't want a massive frequency
spectrum signature on the channel itself. My priority/requirement is to keep my transmission detectability
in the spectrum as low as possible.

Looking for your comments,
Abhinav

Cheers,