Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] FSK Radio 1 MHz tone spacing

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] FSK Radio 1 MHz tone spacing
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:02:42 -0400

On 09/24/2015 06:56 PM, Richard Bell via USRP-users wrote:
Hello all,

Ubuntu 14.04, GNU Radio 3.7.8, UHD 3.009

I'm having issues with an FSK radio that works perfectly fine in simulation with full synchronization and channel effects added (noise, timing, frequency, gain attenuation). When I test it over the USRP N210, I notice a frequency dependent gain that is applied to the tones and what looks like instability in the frequency at each tone. The output of the quad_demod block in gnuradio shows considerable variability in what should be a single tone.

So, I started to wonder if I'm pushing the N210 too hard here. My tones are spaced 60 Khz apart and range from -450 kHz to +450 kHz for a total of 16 possible tones. This amounts to what looks like a frequency hopper, which is essentially what FSK is. Is that nearly 1 MHz wide frequency hopping band too much to expect? I'm running at 2 Msps.

Thanks,
Rich

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work flawlessly. This is no different than dozens of different OFDM applications that are used
 on a daily basis by USRP users.

I've taken the liberty of cross-posting to discuss-gnuradio, since some of this is likely Gnu Radio related, and not hardware related.

What gain settings are you using, and what daughtercard?