[Discuss-gnuradio] RFNoc and data rates

From: Simon Olvhammar
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFNoc and data rates
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 00:07:02 +0200

Hello,

I have a question regarding RFnoc and the USRP x310 FPGA capabilities.
We currently have a working GnuRadio application used for astronomy observations and are looking to get several more devices for integration in other systems.

However the data rates are high and CPU loads as well, thus we would like to move the application to the FPGA. In the GnuRadio application we basically take the FFT of the signal and store it to files. In Python we average the stored FFT:s, in terms of file size this is then reducing, for example a 200 MB file with FFT:s to a couple of KB. We would like to do the latter in the FPGA using RFNoc. This would then eliminate the need for expensive PCIe and Ethernet equipment for the high data rates. My question is, is this possible using current RFnoc blocks?, with for example an average block?

Also wondering if a 8k channel FFT block might be expected in RFNoc anytime soon?

Best regards
Simon