Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Re: Transmission error

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Re: Transmission error
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:16:12 +0200

Hi Dave,

you shouldn't be modifying the python files before you understand what they do exactly. Please revert your edits, because it will be impossible to help you if you don't use the same scripts as we do, obviously. We've talked about this[1].

So:
Sender : benchmark_tx.py -f 2.435G -r 250k
Receiver : benchmark_rx.py -f 2.435G
That's wrong! Now, your transmitter sends 250,000 bits per second, but your receiver expects 100.000 (the default value, which doesn't work with your hardware), so that's not good. Use the same setting for both benchmark_tx and benchmark_rx.

So all you say is I need to change and play with the sampling rates and --tx-amplitude  until the received packet becomes 'n_rcvd=1'
No. RF is not "hey, there's this correct setting, let's apply it everywhere"; you'll have to figure out which combination settings work best. Generally, I'd leave the  --tx-amplitude untouched, because 0.25 is a sane value for the digital samples; what you want is analog gain, not digital scaling.

You should really set a TX gain and a RX gain. Try around with a few different gain settings for RX and TX gain -- a good approach would be to set something like 25 dB TX gain, and around 50 dB RX gain, if you place your TX and RX antennas far enough from each other. Notice that I'm assuming you're using antennas, and no direct connection! If you're using a direct cable between TX and RX, please use an attenuator, because you might otherwise damage your hardware.

To find out how to change the gains, please read the output of
benchmark_tx.py --help
and of
benchmark_rx.py --help

Best regards,