Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Display Problem with QT GUI Vector Sink

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Display Problem with QT GUI Vector Sink
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:18:52 +0200

Hi Simon,

> Is it possible, that the way my music_cf function is outputting the
data, might cause some trouble?

181 floats isn't really a "round" itemsize, and since GNU Radio can only
build buffers that are multiple of 4KB (==4096B), I assume that you get
a large buffer (probably 4096 items of size 181*sizeof(float) each).
That per se is not a problem (maybe a loss of a few MB of RAM, but who
cares in this day and age?); but things get large, and as you can see,
latency can be pretty high. I remember seeing this a while back, when I
was trying large (as in 50dBbin) FFTs with the vector sink; I kind of
assumed visualizing a vector that is a couple of thousand times larger
than my screen had pixels in x-direction would have been what introduced
the latency, so I didn't look into it.

Attempt of building a test case, which might solve your issue, but is
vastly bad design (because it just copies twice):

music_cf->vector_to_stream->stream_to_vector->qt_vector_sink

Could you try that?

Next step, because this might be interesting: If you have both
performance counters enabled and Thrift/gr-controlport, you could have a
look at the ctrlport performance monitor, which would tell you things
like the average buffer fill, average work() run time, and variance of
these numbers.

Best regards,
Marcus