Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Throttle block form wav files

From: Kevin Reid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Throttle block form wav files
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 07:52:45 -0700

On Sep 3, 2015, at 7:22, Murray Thomson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm using a flow graph with no GUI to demodulate a signal. I have a selector
> block that allows me to select the source of the signal between the audio
> card and a wav file. I can change the source using an xmlrpc server/client.
>
> If I don't use a throttle block with the wav file, the flow graph takes all
> the CPU and the server/client is very slow.
> If I put a throttle, I get audio underruns when using the audio card. Same
> problem for a constant source.

You can't get audio underruns from an audio _source_, so I assume you have an
audio _sink_ that you didn't mention in your description that you're using in
both modes for the output of the demodulator.

It sounds like you have the audio _sink_ set not to block. In its properties,
enable the “OK to Block” checkbox. Do not use a throttle.

This will allow the audio sink to limit the data rate from the wav source (by
backpressure). When an audio source is being used, if the source and sink are
from the same sound card and have the same sample rate requested then they
should be happy too.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>