[Discuss-gnuradio] ctrlport_probe2_x with gr-ctrlport-monitor in the abs

From: Eric Statzer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] ctrlport_probe2_x with gr-ctrlport-monitor in the absence of samples
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 07:17:05 -0400

I'm attempting to use ctrlport_probe2_x and gr-ctrlport-monitor to probe points in a bursty flowgraph.  When I place a ctrlport_probe2_x probe somewhere in the part of my flowgraph that process samples only upon reception of a burst, gr-ctrlport-monitor doesn't fully initialize (populate its list of controlport "knobs") until after all ctrlport_probe2_x blocks have performed at least one call to work().  Furthermore, the gr-ctrlport-monitor GUI is only responsive to user input if all ctrlport_probe2_x blocks in the flowgraph are regularly making calls to work() (i.e. gr-ctrlport-monitor query latency becomes equal to the time that elapses between processing individual bursts), so if for some reason bursts ever stop trickling to one of the probes, gr-ctrlport-monitor becomes unresponsive to user input.

The gr-ctrlport-monitor behavior can be recreated with any simple flowgraph that contains a ctrlport_probe2_x that will never (or infrequently) make a call to work, such as: random_pdu -> pdu_to_tagged_stream -> ctrlport_probe2_b, where the "generate" port of the random_pdu block is left unconnected.  Attempting to connect gr-ctrlport-monitor to this flowgraph will cause gr-ctrlport-monitor to be unresponsive (have to kill it) almost immediately after the GUI is displayed.

I wasn't sure if this is a limitation of ctrlport_probe2_x or gr-ctrlport-monitor, but I wanted to see if t was was possible to make the combination play nicely together when applied to a bursty flowgraph.

Relevant system info:
  GNU Radio 3.7.8
  Thrift 0.9.2
  Ubuntu 15.04