Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clock Recovery MM documentation

From: Iluta V
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clock Recovery MM documentation
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:25:24 +0300

Thanks for your explanation! That's worth while looking into!

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Francisco Albani <address@hidden> wrote:
From Matlab MM documentation [1]:

"[...] Typically, the input signal is the output of a receive filter that is matched to the transmitting pulse shape. [...]"

Assuming the MM Gnuradio implementation has the same hypothesis on the input signal (anybody can confirm this?), I deduced this block is usually misused when feed with a square signal, because it will take only one sample per symbol discarding the rest (with useful energy). You can put a Moving Average before for better results.

This is one of the reason why the pfb_clock_recovery block is better, but unfortunately unfit for square signals [2]. I found even better results using a gaussian filter inside pfb_clock_recovery as the pseudo-matched filter to square pulses (with a proper bt value). (Obviously I can only guarantee this for the specific signal I worked with)

Hi, Tom,

Could you be more specific where exactly it is not "the right algorithm"? We'd appreciate that and would correct that in own work as well, if Security Research Assessment made a mistake here.

I will be looking forward to your response,

Iluta