Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when build GNU Radio using cywin64

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error when build GNU Radio using cywin64
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:34:45 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Craig Easton <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi.

If you are trying to get GnuRadio compiled on Windows then I'd suggest doing a "native" build rather than using Cygwin. Despite what it says here: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/WindowsInstall GR 3.7 *will* build properly using VisualStudio and the result is fully usable (with a tiny tweak, see my bug report here: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/799). While the install/compile process is complex, and has a very steep learning curve, I found it to be more successful (eventually!) than  the Cygwin approach, (although if you are new to this like I was, don't expect to get it working without a few weeks effort!) I managed to get a working GR 3.7.7.1 compiled from source (with the the RTLSDR and OsmoSDR blocks) about 6 weeks ago, and It's been working with my HackRF Blue (and RTL dongle) pretty well.

There have been a handful of people how have done this. Each time, I have asked them to update the wiki to provide better, more current instructions on how to get GNU Radio built on Windows. And each time, very little has occurred to do this.

In large part, stuff like this happens when we have users motivated to help. Right now, the core of our developers are Linux with others mainly on OS X. No one really has the skills, interests, or time to work on full Windows support. On the other hand, I think that lacking easy Windows support might put off more Windows developers that could then lead to this kind of support.

In the end, we need someone to help close this gap to get people up and running faster.

hinthintnudgenudgewinkwink

Tom

I would say though that's the process is enormously painful! The Pothos project install seems *much* more polished: https://github.com/pothosware/pothos/wiki (with just a single installer for everything! In an ideal world this is what  the GnuRadio installer should be aiming for I think), but at the time it didn't seem easy (or perhaps even possible) to add the OsmoSDR blocks to Pothos that I needed to support my HackRF Blue.

CE.