Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analyze Waveform with GnuRadio

From: Nathan Coppersmith
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analyze Waveform with GnuRadio
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:48:18 -0400

Marcus,

Thank you for your input!  Just to clarify, I don't think that this challenge has audio frequencies only.  I suppose it's possible, and I hadn't considered that as I assumed that the 2400 bauds hint meant that it was an audio capture of a 2400 baud modem transferring a file.  Considering that a modem transferring a file has to convert the digital signal to analog in order to traverse a phone line, if you were spying on someone and only had an audio clip of the transfer, you would need to demodulate the analog signal into the digital representation to extract the information contained within.  There's another clue located in the EXIF data of the file pointing to the wikipedia article on modulation. (which I read)

In viewing the Waterfall or Spectrum analysis, the "hint" data is at a frequency outside of the main frequency.  You can hear it as a sort of high pitched whine or squeal when listening to the audio.  I would guess this needs to be removed by a low pass filter that would remove any signal above a certain frequency?

If I'm reading my spectrum analysis correctly, the "data" is in the frequency of 45Hz to 5kHz, with the embedded hint appearing at the 11kHz to 12kHz range.

I believe this to be an FSK modulated stream, the waveform data is consistent with what's shown on the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-shift_keying as a modulated signal.

I'm reasonably (99%) certain this is a data stream as the way to solve it is to submit a string that starts with flag-   I'm going to experiment with it some more.  Thanks for the pointers!