Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple BPSK modulation with alternating 1's and 0

From: Nowlan, Sean
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple BPSK modulation with alternating 1's and 0's
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:21:30 +0000

FYI – copying the GNU Radio mailing list, which would be a more appropriate place to post a question such as this one.

Some comments on your GNU Radio setup:

* You’re using a “PSK Mod” block, which applies a root-raised cosine pulse-shaping filter to  the +1/-1 stream, so you wouldn’t exactly see +1/-1 at the output, but instead the sum of symbol-period delayed filter responses.

* If you look at the documentation for the “PSK Mod” block in GRC, it will tell you that the input expects unsigned chars, which equates to values in the range [0,256). Instead of using a vector source, use a “Random Source” with Minimum=0 and Maximum=256 to feed the PSK Mod block.

* Your throttle block is what’s setting the sample rate in this example, and the modulator is using 4 sps (samples-per-symbol), so your symbol rate is 32k/4 = 8 ksym/s. Since this is BPSK, the data rate is also 8 kbps.

* If you were to use a USRP to transmit, you would set its sample rate and then change the SPS to achieve the desired symbol rate: sym_rate = usrp_samp_rate / SPS.

* If you’re using the QT GUI Constellation Sink, it will display all the complex points, including those interpolated by the filter in the PSK Mod block. Therefore you won’t see symbol-clock sampled constellation points – you will also see intermediate points as the signal transitions between constellation points.