[Discuss-gnuradio] Optimum decimation for maximizing dynamic range

From: madengr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Optimum decimation for maximizing dynamic range
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:44:05 -0700 (MST)

Is there an optimum hardware decimation to maximize receiver dynamic range?

For example, if I have an X310 at 200 Msps with 14 bit ADC receiving a low
frequency tone (LFRX board), those samples are truncated to 16 bits prior to
Ethernet.  If I'm decimating by 800 (from 200 Msps to 250 ksps) in the
hardware, then I have gained an ~5 additional bits for a total of 19 ENOB.
Thus I lose 3 bits from the truncation.

If I hardware decimate by 16 (from 200 Msps to 12.5 Msps) then I have gained
just 2 bits for a total of 16 ENOB.  I could then decimate to 250 ksps in GR
where it's floating point, and possibly preserve the full 19 ENOB.

Am I thinking this out correctly, or is it not worth the trouble?  I assume
the 32-bit floating point decimation in GR will have the range to preserve
19 ENOB?

Thanks,
Lou