[Discuss-gnuradio] Attempting gnuradio build on PCLinuxOS64 - fails

From: Handy Kirk
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Attempting gnuradio build on PCLinuxOS64 - fails
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 10:30:41 +0000 (UTC)

This is my first posting to the mailing list, my apology for it being a bit on the long side and yet perhaps short of vital information. Despite the length my understanding is that for somebody with more experience than I will have no trouble just skimming through and pick up some vital clues that is lost on me.

Compiling is not my strong side and I am a beginner as far as details on getting gnuradio working to any extent.  The distrobution does have a gnuradio-3.6.4 available and I have practiced getting to know gnuradio companion.

I got interested in a more ambitious attempt to get gqrx running and figured that a 'pybombs' instance would be worth trying, the attraction of the recipes was to enticing. I realised eventually that 'pybombs' has troubles of sorts when using it in PCLinuxOS. From what I can see the process runs but and eventually returns to command prompt after what I have figured, installed 3 and a bit programs.

The configurations stage I believe I survived by choosing almost default, exept I have selected from: src only because of using "another" linux than the ones 'pybombs' are built on?? Then the following happens:

address@hidden pybombs]$ ./pybombs install gnuradio
Settled on prefix: /home/gert/gr-sandbox/target
Initializing environmental variables...
no existing inventory found, creating an empty one...
value updated
False
None
/home/gert/gr-sandbox/target
Installing packages:

* make
* python
* libbzip
* boost

* fftw
* cppunit
* swig
* gsl
* libusb
* numpy
* uhd
* alsa
* glib
* libtiff
* libpng
* libjpeg
* gdk-pixbuf
* atk
* freetype
* fontconfig
* pixman
* x11
* cairo
* pango
* gtk2
* wxpython
* pygobject
* pygtk
* pycairo
* sip
* qt4
* pyqt4
* qwt5
* pyqwt5
* gnuradio

I have only shown this section which raises questions in my mind that perhaps I don't understand what is happening.

1.. From above I understand that I have set up my 'sandbox' from the 'sandbox' calling for gnuradio to be installed. As the process gets under way I am given a bonus in the form of the 'recipes' being installed, saving me the step to load them later.

2.. A considerable list of programs that will be installed.  The first 3 programs are installed, I have seen them in the 'sandbox' instance again and again (have tried quite a number of variations such as deb,src and rpm,src (as for some other non gr programs I have had success). The fourth program 'boost' seems to get under way but then program returns to command program with no error messages. As follows:

Installing from source: boost
--2015-06-10 19:14:52-- http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.53.0/boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://internode.dl.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.53.0/boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2 [following]
--2015-06-10 19:14:52-- http://internode.dl.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.53.0/boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2
Resolving internode.dl.sourceforge.net (internode.dl.sourceforge.net)... 150.101.135.12
Connecting to internode.dl.sourceforge.net (internode.dl.sourceforge.net)|150.101.135.12|:80... connected.
Length: 55765258 (53M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2’

boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2 100%[======================================================>] 53.18M 253KB/s in 3m 36s

2015-06-10 19:18:29 (252 KB/s) - ‘boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2’ saved [55765258/55765258]

Extract boost_1_53_0.tar.bz2

./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/home/gert/gr-sandbox/target --libdir=/home/gert/gr-sandbox/target/lib/

./bjam --threading=multi --layout=tagged link=shared -j4 install

address@hidden pybombs]$

My knowledge about compile behaviour does not reach into this ending but I was expecting 'more' to happen.  I think I can say that 'boost' does not get installed as it does not show up in the 'sandbox' as one of the installed programs.

4.. Am I correct that one way or another the list of pragrams above I could have expected to be installed?

I have recorded quite a bit of my attempted installs from terminal operation.

I have just managed to download the Ubuntu liveDVD and am trying to get to know a bit about Ubuntu as well as the content but my aim is to get a working PCLinuxOS system.