Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio FFT - Graph concatenation

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio FFT - Graph concatenation
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 10:50:28 -0400

What you want is very specialized, so you'll probably have to write something of your own for this.

Tom

I want to amplify on this point. The number of "useful things" you might want to do with a real-time sample-stream in the context of DSP and radio is very, very large, nearly infinite, and that "near infinity" expands as we learn to do more useful things (because of the standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants effect).

So, having a finite frame (Gnu Radio) and expecting it to, out-of-the-box, address any *particular* aspect of that near-infinite-sea of possibilities is unrealistic.

Using a "proximate analogy". When you encounter the C++ compiler for the first time, you may notice that it doesn't, "out of the box" automatically know how to implement a spreadsheet, or a database, or any particular item in the infinite-sea of applications you could write in C++. Gnu Radio is the same. It's a toolbox. A very rich toolbox, but a toolbox, nonetheless. There's no magic "make my answers come out" button.

When one is working in one small corner of "wireless" or "DSP" or "RF systems", it is often tempting to think that your particular corner, whatever it is, constitutes "the biggest class of application", and expect the tooling to be "born knowing" how to deal with your particular class of application. It just isn't realistic.

This is a general comment, not directed any anyone in particular, and one that I've made in the past, and will probably make again from time to time.