Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] USRP2/Gnuradio - satellite applicati

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] USRP2/Gnuradio - satellite application
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:19:52 +0200

Dear Abs,

you've asked this question on discuss-gnuradio and already got two answers.
In case you've missed those, and to avoid that people tell you what you already know:

Sylvain wrote that, due to a large number of factors contributing to what you see as digital amplitude, you will need to calibrate yourself, using exactly the system you want to use to measure power:

You mean you want the signal power as a dBm value ?

Just won't happen ... Too many things in the chain, you'd have to
calibrate it for a specific freq / board / gain / temp / phase of the
moon / ...

And I explained that if you have a mathematical representation of how your estimator works, you might be able to write a custom estimator block for both of your values of interest:

I assume you already have definite formulas that define the estimator for these two numbers.
Unless you can directly "click together" that estimator in GRC, you will most likely have to implement it.
In many cases, doing this in Python is rather easy (especially if you come from a python or matlab background),
so I'd recommend reading at least the first 3 chapters of
https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials

If these answers didn't help you out, I think it would be wise to explain what these answers are lacking, instead of just re-posting the same question.

Best regards,
Marcus