Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing pre-compiled OOTs

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing pre-compiled OOTs
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 07:46:08 +0200

Hi Leonardo,

the most elegant way of this is
* making/having a pyBOMBS recipe for that OOT
* configuring pyBOMBS to build into a prefix
* build the OOTs using that
* and usings pyBOMBS' "package" command to create a .tar.gz out of that
* unpack the package where you want to use it

This *really* needs both machines to have the same versions of all libraries used -- not only an exact GNU Radio match version match, but all libraries that the OOTs might link to -- most importantly among these, boost.
Most of the time this simply means that either both machines are identical from a software perspective, or all the things you'll need to stuff into that prefix might make it easier to just rebuild on the target instead.

Basically, the problem you're facing is the same all linux distributions have been trying to solve for the last 22 years or so -- and to be honest, keeping dependencies coherent is still not a solved issue.

Best regards,
Marcus