Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New UHD seems to break a lot...

From: Ian Buckley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New UHD seems to break a lot...
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:05:10 -0700

To close the loop on this thread, 3.8.3-RC1 has a bug in new code that automatically calculates master_clock_rates when they are not explicitly stated. This specifically affects B2x0 and E3x0 since they are AD9361 based with a very flexible master_clock_rate. In this case Ralph asked for a sample_rate of 9.142857 MHz and UHD erroneously forced a master_clock_rate of 8MHz. An explicit master_clcok_rate request (in this case for 9.142857MHz) works around the bug as shown (green without, yellow with): http://ianbuckley.net/ralph_spectrum.jpg. The master_clock_rate override does print a warning in the UHD log so you can see that this is happening:

UHD Warning:
    The hardware does not support the requested TX sample rate:
    Target sample rate: 9.142857 MSps
    Actual sample rate: 8.000000 MSps

There is also another bug in RC1 that also prints incorrect warnings. Warnings of this form can currently be ignored until this is fixed should you know that you have actually set sensible sample_rates:

UHD Warning:
    The requested decimation is odd; the user should expect CIC rolloff.
    Select an even decimation to ensure that a halfband filter is enabled.
    decimation = dsp_rate/samp_rate -> 37 = (9.142857 MHz)/(0.250000 MHz)

NOTE: Ralph, your flow graph used a TX gain of 99…this is way too high for the signal being driven to the USRP, you were driving the output amp into saturation.
-Ian